Thursday, September 3, 2009

Berry Pavlovas


This is my first official blog entry. I have a few postings before, but I needed some time to practice and see how everything works. Well, there is still a lot to learn, but I get a lot of inspiration from all those wonderful food blogs out there. So, welcome to my blog and thanks for stopping by.

Since I call this blog berry lovely, I definitely want to start off with a berry recipe. Since I had some leftover egg whites, pavlovas came to mind. They are a great way to use up your egg whites and can be topped with any fruit combination you might desire. Berry season is slowly coming to an end, but I still managed to pick some wild blackberries. Together with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, they made great toppings for my little pavlovas.

Instead of normal cake-sized pavlovas, I prefer to make them small. So they can be served in single portions, because I just have no idea how you would cut a big one into nice looking pieces. We always make a huge mess on our plates eating them.


Berry Pavlovas

makes 4 small pavlovas

2 egg whites
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons (50g) granulated sugar
6 tablespoons (50g) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
¾ cup (200 ml) whipping cream
mixed berries

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (130ÂșC).

Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt on medium speed until they form soft peaks. Slowly add the granulated sugar while still whipping. Whip until medium peaks form, then fold in the sifted powdered sugar and cornstarch.

Spoon the meringue on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and shape it into a circle. With the back of the spoon form a slight well in the middle.

Bake the meringue for about 45 minutes, or until the meringues are crisp, dry to the touch on the outside and easy to lift from the parchment paper. Turn off the oven and let them in there for another 10 minutes. The cool on a wire rack.

Before serving whip the cream, and spread on the pavlovas. Decorate with the mixed berries.

Enjoy and Guten Appetit!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...